It’s a new start and a new chance to reset, take stock and kick off hard to reach greater heights than you ever have before. New Year’s resolutions won’t cut it, in fact, any goal or vision will not cut it unless it is followed up with massive action. I mean determined and focused action that will guarantee you in getting to where you want to be. An action that will make it inevitable that your goals and targets will become real in the world.
When interviewing William Trubridge, 18x World Record Freediver, he shared one of his secrets of success that rocked my world. “When I set myself a goal, I ask myself the question, what do I need to do to make this inevitable?” It struck me that this is a super powerful question that creates world record results, setting himself up for success from the start.
At this time of year, you have a one time opportunity to set yourself up for success in 2019 and beyond. This requires you to take the time to reflect, step back and ask yourself some great questions as William did. You see, it is the questions that drive the answers, the better the questions, the better the answers you are likely to get. It is these answers that will support you in creating what you want.
Everything is created twice, first inside then outside. Your chance now is to create your results that you are looking for this year deep inside your mind in the first place. Set yourself up for success. What do you need to be thinking and feeling on a daily basis? What do you need to believe deep inside? What has to become super important to you right now? What will you commit to and start doing? What will you change and stop doing? Who do you need to become to fulfil your deepest desires?
If you haven’t already, take the time to start your year off on the right foot. Here are 5 steps I recommend:
1. Schedule time to retreat, step back and reflect on your life, career or journey.
2. Ask yourself some big questions.
- Who am I?
- Who am I not?
- Why am I here?
- What is my bliss?
- What do I love doing more than anything in the world?
- What do I want?
- What do I really want?
- If I had all the time and money in the world what would I do?
- How do I want to be remembered?
3. From the answers above, what is it that motivates you the most? What pulls you to want to take action on? Set yourself some targets or goals to achieve by the end of the year that will move you closer to getting there.
4. Write down where you would like to be in 3 years from now. How will your health be, your relationship, your career, finances, family and friends as well as your development as a person? What other areas of your life are important to you? Write down your results in 3 years as if you already have them.
5. Make an action plan and monthly targets for this year. Start with the end in mind and work backwards until January. Get focused and move mountains to create your January goals then start again in February. Have high accountability.
There are going to be challenges, life will test your resolve. The question is how bad do you want it and are you willing to do whatever it takes ethically to make it real in the world? Remember, set yourself up for success by getting your mindset right from the start so that your behaviours follow.
Here is to you making 2019 your best year yet. If not you then who?