What is it that makes an outstanding performer? We have all seen standout performers in sport or in the workplace. Are they made or just born with a gift and talent the rest of us don’t have?
I have always been interested in excellence and how to create it. It started for me as an athlete in my late teens when I aspired to be the best barefoot water-skier in New Zealand. Last night, while watching an ESPN special, I was given a rare opportunity to view the mindset and practices of the lead NFL draft picks for 2018, round 1 begins today on ESPN.
If you listened carefully you could hear that these players mindsets are full of one-liners that drive them and motivate them to greatness. Here are some of the mind lines of excellence that I heard communicated by them:
- Adversity is preparation for greatness.
- Good things happen to those that work hard.
- I can’t control anything that I can’t control myself.
- It is never about what happens to you, it’s about how you deal with it.
- You can do anything that you put your mind too.
- I don’t accept average, I want to be the best there ever was.
- It is my responsibility to lead and be an example of greatness for others.
- I am obsessed with winning, and I hate losing even more.
- You can’t waste energy by getting low. Handle it with strength.
- Tomorrow the sun will rise again, and I will rise up with it.
“Football is football and talent is talent. But the mindset of your team makes all the difference.” – Robert Griffin III
What I know for sure is that everything first starts in the mind of an outstanding performer. They have the right thinking and state which leads to excellent communication and behaviour. Our results in life or on the field are determined by this.
The bottom line is that we have to have the right beliefs and attitudes to excel. Those people that do, coupled with an attitude of being self-driven, curious, humble, confident, responsible and unafraid to lead, are what we call high performers.
When was the last time you evaluated your mindset and belief systems? Which ones support you in excelling and which ones sabotage your goals and dreams?
You can’t control the opposition or competitors performance, you can only control yourself. Why not start with a look at your inner game and take responsibility for making it as good as it possibly can be. It will serve you for the rest of your life.
For more supporting information on this article:
- CBS take on the 2018 NFL draft
- Article on QB for the Sea Hawks, Russell Wilson’s Mental Approach and Training
- Lead NFL Draft Pick 2018 Saquan Barkley
Fingerprint for Success Assessment: Discover your deepest motivations in your career and your own personal Fingerprint for Success. Sign up here and pay $99 to gain access to the assessment and your immediate results on the platform or contact me to purchase a 20% discount code.
Evolutionary Breakthrough: If you feel you need a breakthrough in your life or career then click here to book a time to discuss the program. A 5-hr, 1 to 1 over 3 sessions with Timothy to breakthrough your challenges into a new world.
Transformational Coaching Program: 15 hours of coaching over 7 sessions that evaluates your beliefs systems, values, mission, vision and purpose, supporting you in aligning your inner game with what you want to create with your life. For more information contact us here.